Our frequent visits to the library killed our library tote. It took a bit of searching, but I found the perfect tote at the thrift store. It was sturdy, roomy and had a squared bottom.
The only problem was that it had a half-naked super model on the front.
The solution: vinyl spray paint.
It took three thin coats, but it worked great and dried quickly.
I was hoping to turn the whole tote silver, but the store only had black or white vinyl paint. So I went with black and taped off the handles so they would remain the original silver. The inside is hot pink and looks nice with the black and silver.
The tote was $5 and the paint was about $6 which is still better than the less-ideally-sized totes at Target. I am happy.